Thursday, February 7, 2013

Liebster Award...



Cari from http://faithsmomsblog.blogspot.com nominated me for the Liebster Award-Special Needs Edition.  I want to thank Cari very much for doing so.  We have been having a very stressful few weeks and this nomination made my day. Thank you Cari for all your support and I love getting comments from you.  Thank you again so very much.
So the first step when your nominated is to share 11 random facts about yourself so here I go:
 
1. My favorite candy is Junior Mints.
2. I love coffee.
3. My mom and my sister are my best friends.
4. I would love to run a marathon.
5. My favorite movie is Steele Magnolias
6. I love Mexican food.
7. I listen to country music.
8. I love accounting.
9. I am a dog lover.
10. My favorite TV show right now is Downton Abbey.
11. I would live in Yoga pants if I could.

Then Cari (who nominated me) asked me these 11 questions:
1. What has been your best resource as a special-needs parent? Other moms.  Early on when I was pregnant with Raygen I joined a support group.  Mended Little Hearts and I went to a couple meetings and met face to face with other heart moms.  They have been everything to me.  They give me so much support and understand the emotional roller coaster you are on.

2. How did your extended family react to the news of your child’s diagnosis? My family was great.  They all prayed for Raygen and I think everyone deep down was hoping it was all a mistake and Raygen would be born healthy.  My family was very supportive and I always had family call me after appointments to see how things were going. (Thank you Bristen and Nat)

3. Is there anything you wished you knew now that you didn’t know in the early stages of your child’s diagnosis? This is a tough one.  I don't think there is anything someone could have told me or that I could have read about that would have prepared me for Raygen's first few months of life.  The only thing I wish is that someone would have told me to be more pro-active about Raygen's care very early on when she was in the hospital and trust yourself and your gut feeling don't just do everything the doctors tell you to do.  You know your baby better then anyone.

4. What prayers do you feel God has answered for your child? She is here.  Sleeping as I type in her crib.  That is the biggest prayer answered.  She has been through 2 major open heart surgeries and so much trauma in her 2 years and she is still here.  

5. How do you REALLY feel about being a special-needs parent? Lonely, Scared, and it's so hard.  I love being Raygen's mom but it is a full time job having a baby plus keeping track of feeds, meds, doctor appointments and everything else it can be overwhelming at times, but oooooo so worth it.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.

6. What or who has been your biggest source of support/encouragement? First, my husband, we are a team and we both look to each other first in making decisions about Raygen's care and he is my rock.  Next has to be our parents.  My parents and Randy's have been great.  Always there whenever we need them.  Also, my extended family.  My sister is always there to help with Zoie and just to chat, my cousin Bristen is always there and also my friend Natalie.  My wonderful friend Sarah (who also helps me with the blog) is always there for me.  Sarah came and spent time with me at Childrens when I needed her the most and she is always sending me inspirational emails which make my day.  I love ya Sarah, don't know what I would do without you.

7. What do you do for fun? I love to meet my girlfriends for drinks when I can.  I also love to go get my hair done.  Reading is also fun for me.  I'm pretty exciting, lol!

8. How has being a special-needs parent affected your marriage (or other significant relationships?) I think it has made my marriage stronger.  I feel closer to my husband then I ever had before.  He truly is my rock.  I also feel like I am closer to my parents which I love.  I think having a special needs child can affect your friendships the most.  Your time is all about keeping your child safe and away from illness so around cold and flu season we have to avoid and that is always hard.

9. What hopes do you have for your child’s future? I hope she is happy.  The best part about Raygen is she doesn't know she is different.  I love her happy spirit and she just has this light about her that brightens everyday.  

10. What is something you wish your child can do that he/she can’t do? I wish Raygen could crawl or walk.  I know someday she will, but I know this would make her happy.  She loves to explore and I would be more comfortable if she could walk there instead of roll there.  

11. What is something good that has come out of having a child with special needs? Meeting some amazing, strong women and moms and their wonderful children.  There is a special bond special needs moms share and it's an amazing support group.  I love being able to share Raygen's story and help bring awareness about CHD.  I would love to raise money for charity and be able to help others how they have helped me.

Rules of the Liebster Award: The Liebster Award is designed specifically for small blogs (less than 200 followers) and is a fun way to get to know other bloggers. First you post 11 random facts about yourself. Then you answer then 11 questions your nominator asked you. Then you nominate 11 other people and ask them 11 new questions. In your response, you make sure to personally thank (and link) the person who nominated you. Also, be sure to insert the pink Liebster Award image somewhere in your post!

My 11 questions are:
1.) How has having a special needs child changed your daily lifestyle?
2.) Have you ever had a doctor/nurse that you didn't trust to care for your child?
3.) How has having a special needs child affected your friendships?
4.) How has having a special needs child changed your travel routine? (Vacations, trips to town, Grandma's house etc.)
5.) What is the one item your child can not leave the house without?
6.) What is the one item you can not leave the house without?
7.) How has blogging helped you?
8.) How has your child's brothers/sisters dealt with having a special needs sister/brother?
9.) Looking back what is the one thing you would tell yourself before your child was born?
10.) Did you "Google" your child's diagnosis early on in pregnancy?

I would like to nominate the following 11 blogs:
 

If you do participate please leave a comment in my comment section so I can learn more about you and the special needs blogs you love to read. 

Remember tomorrow is FRIDAY and PLEASE WEAR RED FOR RAYGEN AND ALL OTHER CHD BABIES.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raygen Loves Comments...